The famed Aralam Farm was originally established by the Government of India in the year 1970 with the assistance of erstwhile Soviet Union. It is situated in the Kappad and Aralam Villages of the Thalassery Taluk of Kannur District, 56 km away from Thalassery and Kannur Town and 16 km from Iritty Town.
The Farm was subsequently taken over by the SC & ST Development Department, Government of Kerala, to distribute 50% of the area to the landless tribals and the remaining 50% area to run as a Farm for the welfare of tribals to be settled in the Aralam Farm. Later the Aralam Farming Corporation (Kerala) Limited, a fully Government owned Company registered under Companies Act 1956, under the administrative control of Scheduled Caste & Scheduled Tribes Development Department, was incorporated on 10th June 2010. Its Registered Office is at Aralam. The farm is spread over 3500 acres encircled by rivulets and Aralam Wild Life Sanctuary.
The main objectives of the Farm are to produce and distribute quality planting materials of plantation/horticultural crops and also commercial production of crops in large scale and above all to provide all manner of support services to further the social and economic welfare of the tribal resettled in Aralam.